Will dentures feel normal
In the beginning, dentures will not feel normal, especially if it’s your first time wearing dentures. Like with most change, it may take time, at least a month, before your dentures feel normal. Below are some common issues first-time denture-wearers say the experience.
- Muscle soreness
- Irritated gums
- Slurred speech
- Increase saliva production
Remember, these symptoms are very common and they typically go away after a few weeks until your facial muscles and tongue learn to hold your dentures in place.
While dentures may feel foreign in the beginning, you will eventually get used to them. Below is a list of tips to help your dentures feel normal, quicker.
- Eat soft food: eat soft foods like mashed potatoes and applesauce in the beginning, using both sides of your mouth. Then as you get used to eating with dentures, start incorporating harder textures. Just avoid sticky foods and gum.
- Exercise your mouth: practice holding a smile at 10-second intervals to help strengthen your cheeks. This will help make your dentures more comfortable and make eating easier.
- Adjust your wear time: wear your dentures for a few hours in the beginning, then gradually increase your wear-time each day
- Practice talking with your dentures: read aloud or talk in front of a mirror to help you learn how to properly enunciate words with dentures.
Back to Are Dentures Hard to Get Used to?