What To Expect With Dental Implants
Serving the Portland OR & Vancouver WA Metro AreaTo some, it can feel like there is a lot to think about when it comes to dental implants. This is understandable, as the choice to get dental implants can transform one’s life in a whole host of fantastic ways. So, what exactly can one expect with dental implants and the final result? Here’s the scoop on the installation process as well as everything thereafter.
The Dental Implant Placement Process
There are several steps to fitting patients with their very best, forever smile. In a nutshell, though, this is the process and what to expect with dental implants installation:
- The patient has the initial consultation in which everything about the process is discussed, images are taken, and plans are made for the actual placement into the jawbone. The dental implant consists of two parts:
- the body of the dental implant, which is placed in the bone,
- and then the abutments, which screw into the implant body above the gums.
- The installation takes place, and the patient is sent home right afterward with a relatively minor, simple, and very short healing period. Most often no pain-relieving medication is even required.
- A follow-up appointment is then designated to place the abutment if it was not already placed at the initial fitting session. The abutment is essentially the top component of the tooth implant. The abutment is what connects to your final dental prosthesis to the body of the dental implant.
- Finally, expect to simply have the implant checked periodically along with the rest of your teeth in the typical dental checkup process.
Get expert dental implant & dental prosthetic advice
Leave us your information and we will call you back
Adjusting to New Dental Implants
All patients do experience an initial adjustment phase in which they “learn” or get used to their new smile, chewing abilities, speech, and mouth “feel”. This is typically a period of great excitement and simply gaining the confidence to know that all is going to be much better going forward. Any questions and concerns are also addressed here as the patient adjusts to much better oral health, appearance, and function going forward.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Once everything is complete and the patient is finished with the process, what can they expect for the future? For those wondering what to expect with dental implants from this point going forward, a great smile, confidence, and regular oral maintenance and health are just some of the awesome benefits. Improved function in chewing, speech, and comfort also cap some of the remarkable benefits.Back to How Dental Implants Work